Sex Workers Outreach Project New York City [SWOP-NYC] and Sex Workers Action New yorK are both grassroots organization and part of a national network dedicated to improving the lives of current and former sex workers/those with experience in the sex trade in the New York metro area, on and off of the job.
The Sex Worker’s Outreach Project NYC (SWOP-NYC) is the New York City chapter of the Sex Workers Outreach Project. SWOP-NYC has open meetings once a month for current/transitioning/former workers and allies to discuss on-going projects, upcoming events, and expand our advocacy work. SWOP-NYC projects include working on policy campaigns, providing direct support to SWANK, event organizing, and other initiatives. If you would like to attend meetings, click here.
Sex Workers Action New yorK (SWANK) is a community group open to current and former sex workers & those who have experience in the sex trade whether by choice, circumstance, or coercion.
SWANK meetings occur once a month. SWANK provides community, peer support, court support, mutual aid, referrals, and activism for sex workers. The nature of each meeting differs depend on who is attending and what they desire/need. The attendees/members really shape SWANK so we encourage you to come and be a part of the community. If you would like to attend meetings, click here.
- SWOP-NYC and SWANK Points of Unity
Accepted December, 2011:
- We join the fight to end trafficking in persons within the sex trade. We value the distinction between sex workers and those that have experienced trafficking and acknowledge overlapping experience.
- We acknowledge that participation in the sex trade is a highly individualized experience, we are experts in our own experiences and support everyone’s right to define their own.
- We acknowledge the rich legacies of sex work across cultures and times. We also see and acknowledge the active erasure and silencing of these stories.
- We are committed to addressing the legal issues of sex work with the intent to empower workers.
- We stand in solidarity with groups that are fighting oppressions, including, but not limited to, homophobia, racism, sexism, transphobia, misogyny, classism, and xenophobia.
- We utilize harm reduction principles, human rights principles, inclusivity, anti‐oppression and pro‐justice frameworks, and self and community accountability.
- SWOP-NYC/SWANK Creates and supports a safe and protected space for current and former sex workers and allies.
- A Shared Vision: SWOP-NYC and SWANK
Some our goals include (from our founding mandate in 2007):
- Community-building activities like support groups, dinners, and get-togethers
- Forming alliances with like-minded groups and individuals
- Authoring zines and resource guides
- Eventually establishing a by- and-for-sex-worker health clinic, education center, and safe space
- Reaching out to the community at large by promoting openness and awareness through the arts and presentations to conferences, organizations and more.
More information: Meeting times, listserv, and other FAQs